How a root canal from your family dentist in Newtown, PA, can help you smile
Did you know that a root canal can take away your tooth pain for good? It’s true—by eliminating the infection that started the ache in the first place, root canal treatment can improve your oral health and keep your smile intact. Here at Cipriani Dental Associates in Newtown, PA, your family dentist, Dr. Pier J. Cipriani, offers a wide range of dental services, including root canal therapy, to help you and your smile. Read on to learn if a root canal is right for you!
More about root canal treatment
Sometimes, it is rather easy to infer that you need a root canal because you are experiencing:
- Increasing tooth pain when you drink or eat hot or cold beverages or foods
- Acute, stabbing pain when you bite down or chew
- Tooth pain that continues even after a filling or crown have been placed
- Tooth pain that radiates to other areas of your jaws, face, or head
- Chronic throbbing pain that doesn’t go away
You may also notice some non-painful signs like these:
- A tooth that is noticeably darker or grayer than the teeth surrounding it
- A white or red bump appearing on your gums next to a tooth root
- Drainage including blood or pus coming from the bump on your gums
Root canals are the treatment of choice when your mouth is marred by damaged dental pulp (i.e. the innermost layer of your tooth and where the blood supply and nerves are located). When the pulp becomes damaged, it then leads to inflammation, fluid build-up, acute pain, and in some cases, even tooth loss
The only way to relieve the pain is to remove the inflamed, diseased tissue inside your tooth by having a root canal. During this treatment, your family dentist begins by thoroughly numbing the problematic tooth. Next, the diseased tissue is painlessly removed, thus eliminating the toothache source and sometimes providing instant relief. Finally, the tooth is sealed with a small permanent filling, and your root canal is done!
Need relief? Give us a call
If you think you may need a root canal, talk with the experts—dial (215) 968-0620 today to schedule a consultation with Cipriani Dental Associates in Newtown, PA!